A month ago I received an email from the council offering me a plot on and allotment site I had requested at the beginning of the year. For several months they had pretended that there was no plot available when, in fact, they were trying to sell the land. The deal having fallen through, they are now desperate to find new tenants willing to take on vastly overgrown plots.
Of course, in the meantime I have taken on half plot on the other site but, although I love it and I am keeping it, it is too small to feed 5 people and I had been thinking of getting another half.
The new plot is on another site, which makes things a bit more complicated, but it is a 10 minute walk away. It is going to require some organising skills on my part but I’m pretty sure I’ll work it out.
One of the main reasons I wanted more space is that I want to grow more fruit. I love raspberries, strawberries, all kind of berries and currants but their price in the shops is really prohibitive: a small punnet of raspberries costs at least a couple of pounds! When you have 4 teenage students it soon adds up.
Once cleared, the new plot will be perfect for that. It’s a full plot, approximately 250 m² (2700 ft²), with a southern exposure. As it is on a fairly steep slope, it is divided in terraces. But first, it did need a lot of work.
There was no way I could do it all by myself, so I got someone to help. A chainsaw and a bush-cutter were also invited to the clearing party.
Two days of hard work later and we went from this:
I have bought a trailer-full of well rotted manure and all I need now is a couple of days off without rain (and for the toughened gardeners amongst you: no, I am not being a wimp but the plot is on a steep slope and with all the mud you can’t get enough purchase to get to the top with a wheelbarrow – guess how I know).
In the meantime I’m making plans.
Please tell me I’m not completely crazy.