Last night I decided to try a new recipe. I had come across it a couple of times and thought it sounded really tasty…. so much so in fact that, when I went to look it up, I realised that I had several versions of it.
The problem was that, although the main ingredients were the same, they were all somewhat different. So I decided to pick ideas here and there and make my own version.
The result was REALLY nice. So nice, in fact that the boys did not give me time to take any pictures (the photo above is a stock picture from Wiki commons).
It worked out very cheap as I bought 2 packs of 1 kg chicken thighs on offer at £1.29 each and the boys wanted pasta with it and we used about 1 bag at 39p.
- 3lbs chicken thighs
- ½ cup light soy sauce
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 medium onions
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp peppercorn or ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup water
- Put the chicken, garlic and soy sauce into a large ziploc bag and shake, making sure that the chicken is well covered. Let it marinate for at least a couple of hours.
- Put the oil in the Instant Pot and, using the Saute function, brown the chicken a few pieces at a time. Set the pieces aside as you go along. If you are using a slow cooker, brown the chicken in a pan.
- Put all the chicken back in the pot and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Put on the Instant Pot lid and lock it, with the knob on Sealing.
- Set on Poultry mode and adjust to 12mn.
- When done, open with quick release.